Monday, October 1, 2012

Expectations

Today I learned a valuable lesson.

I should say, I am reminded of a lesson I've been coming to accept since having a child.

I need be mindful of my expectations and just be in the moment. This is when the magic of life happens with a child.

My story goes....I woke up with the an excited spirit for getting out and making the most of the day with my 15month old. We had breakfast, cuddles, read some books and I packed her runny nose, molar cutting little self in the car. We headed out to our local library for the toddler story/song time.

Eager parents and kids ranging from infancy to 3 years old awaited the opening of the library doors. As soon as the doors opened, the stampede ensued as everyone raced into to get prime real estate on the carpet in front of the teacher. We were lucky to get second row.

I was so excited because baby G has been showing more interest in songs and imitating a lot. I knew she would love it.

The teacher started singing with her puppets. I kept looking down at baby G, she sat there with her hand in her mouth staring in confusion. About 2 minutes into the song, she turned around, crawled out of my lap and started digging through the diaper bag trying to find some snacks. She was more interested in my car keys and a few Rice Chex then the fun spider puppet show. I was annoyed.  90% of the other kids were having fun, clapping, watching, singing along. Baby G, she was more interested in picking hair of the lady's back sitting in front of us.

She did show some interest when the teacher brought out some fake apples for a song. What can I say, my daughter likes food! She commented a few times about things she saw in the room. She was curious about the other kids and watched them in awe as they gestured and sang songs for a few short minutes.

I realized, Jamie...this is where she is at. Let your expectation go. The teacher finished and brought out toys. Baby G had a blast grabbing blocks, pushing baskets, dumping and filling containers, climbing up on the teachers chair, banging together the apples, "sharing" toys with other children, looking at a few books.

This is what its all about at her age. The sensory experience...being in a large new room with lots of loud, busy, unpredictable people. LEARNING about the social expectations of sitting and watching a teacher, following along, imitating, waiting. Why did I expect her to just know what to do on her first day?! COMMON JAMIE!

So, needless to say it was a great reminder to be patient, relish in where your child is developmentally.  Encourage and support them, but be realistic in your expectations. Use every experience as an opportunity to observe and learn about your child. Live in the moment and try to see the good in every situation. Celebrate the positive things in a situation that didn't go as YOU had planned.

2 comments:

  1. It's so hard as mamas to check the OT hat at the door sometimes and be present in the here and now, to enjoy the present moment. You're not the only one, I do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the words of encouragement. :) I feel so blessed shes happy, healthy and developing I forget to savor every second sometimes

    ReplyDelete